Medical practice describes what it means to be a good doctor.
It says that as a good doctor you will:
- make the care of your patient your first concern
- be competent and keep your professional knowledge and skills up to date
- take prompt action if you think patient safety is being compromised
- establish and maintain good partnerships with your patients and colleagues
- maintain trust in you and the profession by being open, honest and acting with integrity.
This guidance is split into four sections which describe the professional values and behaviours we expect from any doctor registered with us. We expect you to use your professional judgement and expertise to apply the principles in this guidance to the various situations you face.
This guidance came into effect 22 April 2013. It was updated on 29 April 2014 to include paragraph 14.1 on doctors' knowledge of the English language.
It was further updated on 29 April 2019 to remove the sub-heading 'honesty' from immediately before paragraph 65.
Download the guidance
You can download the guidance in English or Welsh.