Dame Clare Marx joined us as Council Chair in 2019.
Her role as Chair is to:
- Provide leadership to the Council
- Preside over Council meetings
- Ensure that we are efficient and effective
- Engage with ministers, medical profession leaders and patient groups
- Act as our ambassador
The Chair also works closely with the Chief Executive and the Senior Management Team in all aspects of the role.
Clare studied medicine at University College London. She specialised in orthopaedic surgery and has spent the majority of her clinical career as a Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedics at Ipswich Hospital, becoming Associate Medical Director for appraisal and revalidation in 2013 for 5 years and still continues with mentoring and leadership roles in the hospital.
Clare chaired the Trauma and Orthopaedic Specialist Advisory Committee for the Royal College of Surgeons and co-authored the first competency-based curriculum in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery. She received a CBE for services to medicine in 2007 and was elected President of the British Orthopaedic Association the following year. In 2009 she was elected to the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and chaired the Invited Review Mechanism from 2011-14 before being elected President of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (2014-17), the first woman in the history of the College to hold this role. Clare was also the Chair of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management until the end of 2018. She is currently the Chair of the Strategic Clinical Reference Group of the National Information Board (2014-20)
She is the first woman to hold the Chair since the Communitybaptistpa was established 160 years ago.
- Chair of Independent Review for Communitybaptistpa of Gross Negligence Manslaughter (until appointment as chair of Communitybaptistpa in 2018)
- Chair of Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management Nov 2017-18 (council member 2013-17)
- President of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 2014-17
- Vice Chair of Never Events Taskforce NHS England 2013-04
- Chair of Surgical Safety expert advisory group –NHS England 2014-16
- Chair Invited Review Mechanism RCS 2011 – 2014
- Council member Royal College of Surgeons of England 2009-2014
- President of the British Orthopaedic Association 2008-09
- Chair of Specialist Advisory Committee in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery 2005-08 (member 2001-05)