Generic professional capabilities framework
This framework sets out the essential generic capabilities needed for safe, effective and high quality medical care in the UK.
At its heart are the principles and professional responsibilities of doctors, and we have translated these into educational outcomes so they can be incorporated into curricula.
Although this framework relates to postgraduate medical education and training, we expect that it will support all phases of UK medical education and continuing professional development.
Excellence by design requires that the generic professional capabilities are included in all postgraduate curricula.
We thank the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and key interest groups for their contribution to the development of this framework and to Generic professional capabilities: guidance on implementation.
Inside the Generic professional capabilities framework
- Expected outcomes (open at page 6)
- Domain 1: Professional values and behaviours (open at page 8)
- Domain 2: Professional skills (open at page 10)
- Domain 3: Professional knowledge (open at page 17)
- Domain 4: Capabilities in health promotion and illness prevention (open at page 19)
- Domain 5: Capabilities in leadership and team working (open at page 20)
- Domain 6: Capabilities in patient safety and quality improvement (open at page 21)
- Domain 7: Capabilities in safeguarding vulnerable groups (open at page 23)
- Domain 8: Capabilities in education and training (open at page 24)
- Domain 9: Capabilities in research and scholarship (open at page 25)