Other sources of information and guidance
All our guidance can be found on our website.
Frequently used guidance and resources
The following frequently used guidance and resources published by professional and research organisations are important and relevant to various aspects of research in the UK.
- BMA Consent Tool Kit - card 10: Research
- Code of Practice for Research: Promoting good practice and preventing misconduct (UK Research Integrity Office, 2009)
- Database of Uncertainties about the Effects of Treatments (DUETs)
- Explaining research (National Research Ethics Service, 2008)
- Guidelines for the ethical conduct of medical research involving children (Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: Ethics Advisory Committee, 2000)
- Guidelines on the practice of ethics committees in medical research with human participants (Royal College of Physicians, 2007)
- Medical Research Council ethics guide: Medical research involving children (Medical Research Council, 2004)
- Medical Research Council ethics guide: Medical research involving adults who cannot consent (Medical Research Council, 2007)
- Procedure for the Investigation of Misconduct in Research (UK Research Integrity Office, 2008)
- RCUK Policy and Code of Conduct on the Governance of Good Research Conduct (Research Councils UK, 2009)
- Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care (Department of Health, 2005)
- Research Governance Framework for Health and Community Care (Scottish Executive Health Department, 2006)
- Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland (Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, 2006)
- Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care in Wales second edition (National Assembly for Wales, 2009)
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki – Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects
The following organisations provide information and guidance on research, including specific areas and types of research.