A doctor’s identity
You must make your own identity checks when you employ a doctor. For example, ask them for their original passport or an original EEA identity card.
The following are not proof of identity:
- registration certificate
- proof of entry on the register letter
- or confirmation that a doctor is registered with or without a licence to practise with us.
Doctors who join or rejoin the register attend an identity check as part of the application process.
We hold photographs of all:
- UK graduates granted registration after 1 July 2005
- doctors taking the PLAB test from 1 May 2004
- EEA doctors granted registration after 1 April 2005
- doctors restored to the register from 1 June 2005
- other newly registered doctors from 1 August 2005.
You can contact us for a copy of the photo held on our system. Please give us an address or fax number where we can send the photo. We aim to respond to all enquiries within four working days.
If you have any doubts about a doctor's identity, please contact us..