I’ve been asked to be a referee. What do I need to do?
- I’ve been asked to be a referee. What do I need to do?
- Further information on CESR and CEGPR applications
Structured reports support applications for Certificates of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) or Certificates of Eligibility for GP Registration (CEGPR).
We advise applicants to ask your permission before nominating you as a referee and to send you a copy of their CV.
What information should I include?
Applicants are assessed against the curriculum for a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in their specialty. Before you complete the form, you should familiarise yourself with the current curriculum in the applicant’s specialty and the standard required for a CCT.
If the doctor isn’t applying in a CCT specialty, you should look at the curriculum for the nearest specialty.
You need to give information about the applicant based on your direct knowledge of them. For reports to be as useful as possible in the applicant’s evidence, they should be detailed and give specific examples of how you’ve seen the applicant demonstrate the breadth of competencies in the relevant CCT curriculum, under the four domains of Medical practice.
If you don’t have direct knowledge of the applicant, you should enter ‘No direct knowledge’ in that section.
What should I include if I am a clinical or medical director?
Applicants must include you as one of their referees, even if you don’t work with them directly.
You’re expected to comment on the outcome of the work of the applicant’s unit, their involvement in trust activities and any issues of clinical governance or disciplinary action.
We recommend you talk to your colleagues before completing the form if you don’t know the applicant personally.
In our experience, an application is unlikely to be successful without a structured report from you.
How will I be contacted?
Once we’ve received a doctor’s application, we’ll send you a structured report form to complete.
- If you’re registered with us, we’ll the form to your registered address. You can update your contact details using Communitybaptistpa Online.
- If you’re not registered with us, we’ll send the form to you using the contact details the applicant has given us.
What happens next?
- Your structured report is used to cross-reference the applicant’s evidence and verify their work, training and experience. This means you should try to give as much relevant detail as you can.
- We may release your report to the applicant following our decision, if they request a copy to review or include in evidence for an appeal against our decision. This shouldn’t influence the content of your structured report.
Additional guidance you should read
If you have any questions about completing the structured report, [email protected].